BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 04, 2011

Political Burnout as it relates to me!

I have always known that I have issues with morality. I dabble with the moral line as a matter of survival and as a matter of personal justification. Neither of these are right, but I know that it is paramount for survival in my business. I own a convenience store and have for 18 years. I have endless strikes against me, and will someday really go into it. However, right now I do not have that option. I am competing in an incredibly crooked market up against a very morally challenged industry. As with everything in life though, IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Recently a store in North Portland was busted for exchanging the EBT card(food stamps) for 50% on the dollar. In other words to sum it up for everyone, the government would give Joe Blow, lets say $200 in benefits to feed his family with on a debit card. Joe would then walk into the store, give the owner the card and the owner would give Joe $100 cash. Joe then gets to buy WHATEVER he wants, more often than not...drugs. Thank you government that is very generous.
This is EXTREMELY common in downtown Portland. Almost to the point where stores are losing sales to these customers if they don't give them this offer.
I do not take this card, therefore in theory I am not affected. However, when I listen to my girls high school taking Calculus class from 22 students to forty and cutting classes, all I can think is where this money went. It sickens me immensely. I firmly believe education is the only way to a brighter future as a nation. Unfortunately it is the easiest thing to cut. I truly wish the government would tighten the screws and have a few more checks and balances. The economic downfall due to this fraud is endless. Oh well, I just needed to vent for a minute and hopefully read a few more of these stories. My guess is all the stores will just hang low for a little bit and cover their ass a little better. Like I said, It is what it is!

0 comments: