BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Today as a reference to the future

Today is Sunday which represents the end of my weekend. For the most part I don't care whether it is a weekday or a weekend. The main difference in my eyes is I don't have to worry about my bank balance or what checks will clear. You see on the weekends the business world gets to take a fiscal time out. However, when Monday rolls back around all the transactions will catch back up. Silly way to look at it, but it long ago became my world. My business life is very routine, my weekend life is very carefree. Today was a great example of that.
After spending about an hour at urgent care with my daughter, we went to pick up her best friend. While on our way there, a new geocache popped up about 5 miles away. I figured we might have a good shot at being the first to it considering it was up in the hills away from the metro area. We picked her up and went on our way. I enjoy the rush of hoping to be the first considering there are hundreds of locals all fighting for the same coveted first to find. On our way my daughter tells me it is .6 miles southeast from where we are at. She is the navigator, I am at the wheel. While traveling faster than I should I take a right turn and start to head west. I realize my mistake pretty quicklike and whip a u-turn to get back on track. The thought now occurs, what if that brief mistake was just enough to allow someone else to get the coveted first to find. I can only hope and continue to backtrack. We finally arrive at ground zero, only to see an older couple already looking for it. Darn, they got a great head start. I blew it.
So we got out of the car and begin searching the same area knowing that is where it had to be. We searched as a group for quite a while, two of them and three of us. This continued for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden my daughters friend yells out, " I found it!" Wow, we got the first to find after all. I could not ask for a better scenario.
Often I fight with my role as a parent. The right move was to probably take the two kids home to start their study time and skip trying to be the first to find. Unfortunately, I firmly believe todays kids need a break from the everyday stresses to maintain sanity. I feel good about my decision, and also think both girls will remember this day for quite a while. Who really knows which decision was right. The one thing I do know, is I find myself becoming more selfish in the making memories departments with my kid and her friends because I know when they go off to college in a few months these will become few and far between. I just wanted to say I had an absolutely wonderful day with both of them, and hope they always remember this.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

this is cheesy, but ive heard many times..."kids spell LOVE: T.I.M.E." makes me laugh sometimes when i say it to myself, but how true is it? the memory of that day is worth the sacrafice of a few pages of homework.

sounds like youre the dad that all the kids wanted!